The YMCA originated in 1844 in London, England. The YMCA was charted in Port Arthur in 1902, providing programs in locations throughout the area. Today there are over 2,500 YMCAs in the United States and YMCAs are located in more than 130 countries.
The YMCA of Port Arthur was chartered in 1902. The first YMCA building was constructed on Lakeshore Drive in 1937. The facility was destroyed by fire in 1959. The YMCA carried on programs in rented space.
The YMCA dedicated the 7th Street location in 1956 at a cost of $35,000. A deed for land was acquired for the 9th Avenue branch in 1961.
A capital campaign in 1963 raised nearly $421,000 for the new branch at 1308 9th Avenue. The facility was dedicated in 1966.
In 1983 a Capital Campaign was initiated for a new YMCA on 6760 9th Avenue. The campaign raised $1.2 million. The $3.4 million facility was dedicated in 1986. A special arrangement in 1987 between the city and local lenders allowed the YMCA to continue to operate.
In 2009, our Y underwent a 1.1 million dollar renovation. This included all new men’s, women’s, boys, and girls dressing rooms, new nursery, administrative offices, and lobby. New saunas, steam rooms, and whirlpools were added. All of this helps us to continue our mission of serving the people in our communities.
Our Facilities Include:
- Gym for basketball/volleyball
- 3 Raquetball/Wallyball Courts
- Sport Zone Room including Wii, Sportwall, and Dance Dance Revolution
- Group Fitness Room
- Group Cycling Room
- Weight Room featuring Freeweights, Hammerstrength & Bodymaster Equipment, Cardiovascular Equipment, Express Bikes (virtual reality), Recumbent Bikes, Treadmills, Indoor Running and Walking Track
- Meeting Room with Kitchen
- 25 Meter Indoor Heated Swimming Pool
- Adult Locker Rooms including Sauna, Steam Room and Whirlpool
- Youth Locker Rooms
- 4 Tennis Courts
- and many Outdoor Sports and Playfields.